Translate

Monday, October 29, 2012

On Democraps and Paul Romney

"Daddy why are the Democraps so mean to Paul Romney?" Those words innocently uttered by my 9 year old daughter changed the way we talk about politics in my home forever.

Like so many families across this nation, mine has grown tired of the endless barrage of political ads on TV and radio. My wife refuses to watch live TV and will now only watch shows that have been recorded so that she can skip the ads. My youngest worries about starting a fight with a friend by liking the wrong candidate. My oldest is trying to learn about the process but is confused by all the ads which if true mean that whichever person wins the world will end soon after.

A while ago the oldest approached me and asked why I liked Mitt Romney, since the ad she just saw said he wants women to die from cancer. What followed was a lengthy discussion about politics and advertising at least some of which must have been overheard by the 9 year old. It was a few days latter that the now famous words were spoken aloud for the first time.

We were in the car on the way to Church and the words" Daddy, why are the Democraps so mean to Paul Romney?" floated from the rear of the vehicle on the wings of a dove. So sweet, so innocent so child-like in the naivete. We responded in the only way we could, with gut busting laughter.

Since that day we have decided to take the whole process a little less seriously. After all, how can you take someone that calls himself a "crap" seriously? Around our house it has become Barack Obama and his team of Craps up against Paul Romney. we are trying to have as much fun with it as possible. For example while playing "Catch Phrase" Paul Romney (or Mitt Ryan) will be shouted as an answer more often than not. My phone will ring occasionally and on the other end will be a 9 year old shouting Mitt Romney!

Single handedly my daughter took what was a dreadful fall and filled it with life and humor. Now, we can talk about the issues and the events without becoming grim.

So to anyone who is struggling this season with all the hate and vitriol on display, just remember; you should not expect too much from people that call themselves "craps".


(PS Early voting is underway in many areas. I have cast my ballot already so that I can volunteer on election day. I highly recommend early voting as a quick simple method to avoid the rush on Nov. 6th)

No comments:

Post a Comment