Translate

Monday, November 19, 2012

On Week One of Being Unemployed

So a full week has passed since I was relieved of my job and things are going about as well as can be expected. I have managed to settle into a routine of sorts. I have spent a few hours each morning of this last week working on my resume. (Thanks to a dear friend who gave me his resume to use as a template) I then plan dinner, do laundry and dishes and follow that with any shopping that needs to be done.

I have met with one potential new employer and am very excited about that prospect (it is basically the job I have dreamed about having since school) although no decision will be made until after Thanksgiving. The fact that I am the only person that has so far expressed interest in this job gives me quite a bit of hope.

The most surprising thing about being unemployed is learning how truly unhappy I was in my old job. All those who have been around me this last week have noticed that I am happier and more full of life than I had been in months. My pastor mentioned it first and then my family confirmed that he was correct. I have to admit that I do feel more at ease than I have in a long while. My only concern is securing health insurance before my current plan expires at the end of the month. But as long as the severance payment comes through before then I can survive a month on COBRA in a worst case scenario.

Another thing that has surprised me about losing my job is how much more sensitive I am to news about others losing their job. The story of Hostess hit me hard as I pondered the mentality that would chose no paycheck over a smaller paycheck. This reinforces my long held belief that Unions have outlived their usefulness by nearly half a century. But more on Hostess later.

In the meantime, Thank you all again for your support. And keep clicking those ads. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment