Translate

Friday, May 25, 2012

Hungry, Hungry Games

So, I have finally caught up with the rest of the world and read the "Hunger Games" trilogy.  And, since I write a blog which features pop culture bits on Fridays I thought I would offer my review of the series. In case any of you are as far behind as I am and have not read the full series yet, I will try to avoid any information of a "Spoiler" type nature. But do be warned, I intend to discuss the book and so at least some bits of plot will be leaked.

Having just finished reading "Mockingjay" less than 20 hours ago, my thoughts and feelings regarding the books are pretty fresh. As I have thought about the story I have come to the startling conclusion that I hate Katniss Everdeen. I did not start out hating her, in fact during the first book I liked and admired her. However, as the story went on my like turned to neutrality, then dislike and eventually pure hatred.

At first, I was angry at Suzanne Collins for taking the character I so liked in the first book and twisting her to the corrupt version found in the last book. But I realize that characters often have a life of there own and writers merely chronicle the events that occur in the world they created. I do not blame Ms. Collins, Katniss is just not the hero I thought she was.

In the first book we see a very strong defiant young woman sacrificing herself for the only person she truly loved, her sister Prim. Everything that she does from that point forward is done purely for self preservation. She teams with Peeta not because of any fondness for the boy or desire for his well being, but because she knows she has no choice if she ever wants to return home. Even the berries are self serving, the nightlock ultimatum was the solution to the Gordian Knot. She could not allow Peeta to die and still be welcome at home, and she had no desire to die herself. So the berries were the ultimate bluff and solution. Not the heroic gesture at all.

In the second book, we find Katniss working with President Snow in an effort to prevent a rebellion that her people badly need, a rebellion she herself set in motion. She does everything in her power to undo what she had done in the previous book with the berries, because she selfishly has no desire to help free anyone. When she is forced into the Games a second time, she decides to save Peeta rather than herself. This is marginally noble, however she is so blinded by her desire to get him out alive she fails to notice that most everyone is working toward escaping the Arena. If she had only paid closer attention to thsoe around her, and trusted her friends, many more people would have survived the Quarter Quell. As it was her naivete causes the deaths of many people and nearly foils the plan entirely. But the rebels believe her berry trick has made her a symbol the rebellion needs so die they do all in the name of protecting Katniss.

In the last book we find Katniss spending most of her time wandering around aimlessly and hiding in closets. The rebels have saved her becuase she is needed to unite the districts. She resists this for quite some time prefering to mope about and feel sorry for herself.  Her mother, sister and every survivor of 12 has found a reason to thrive, but not Katniss.  Eventually she does agree to help the rebels, after insisting on some very stiff conditions. Then on every chance she gets she ignores her deal, seeks revenge and causes the death of much more noble characters. It is my belief that nearly every death in Mockingjay could have been prevented by Katniss simply pulling her head out of her rear and listening to those around her.

Suzanne Collins is an excellent storyteller and I did enjoy the series. I would love for her to write a few more "Hunger Games" novels with a different character as the narrator. Perhaps retell the story from Peeta's View. Or Gale's. Maybe even Haymitch. Any of them would have a better story to tell than the train wreck of selfishness and indecision that is Katniss Everdeen.

No comments:

Post a Comment