Translate

Friday, July 6, 2012

Fair Play

I have been on vacation this week, and have been spending my time helping my daughters prepare , transport and inspect their 4H fair projects. After a hectic week, the projects have been delivered and judged, the results were as always surprising. Projects we expected to do very well did not and projects we thought would do poorly achieved high marks.

While the judging is important the experience of submitting the projects is the real reward. Seeing the girls working together to get items baked or sewn or matted is always thrilling. The biggest drama occurred with the judging of the brownies. The girls made identical brownies using the same methods, recipe and ingredients. One received a first place blue and the pother received a fourth place pink. Needless to say; tears did flow.

The fair itself is always a good time. Lots of exhibits and fun things to do. My daughters surprised me by spending a good amount of time with a Honduran Milk Snake. Even going so far as to hold it themselves.

This fair has its share of yummy foods, the 2 favorites being the mini donuts and the cream puffs. Although we have yet to eat something there we did not enjoy.

There are almost no vendors or political booths this year. I am not sure if this is because of the economy, the heat (104 yesterday, 102 expected today) or if there is something else going on that I am not aware of. The one vendor I did see was selling the "World's Smallest Vacume" and "Hammer Handels". I was curious to find out what a "vacume" is but I could not get an answer. As for the "Hammer Handels" I can only assume it has something to do with a rock version of "The Messiah".

While many stop attending fairs once their children reach a certain age, fairs in WI are attended by people of all ages and many adults submit projects ion the open classes to be judged and sold as well. If you have not been to a fair in a few years I encourage you to try it again. You may be surprised at how much fun you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment