Translate

Monday, July 2, 2012

Crap! There is a Teenager in the house!

Thirteen years ago today I was at a party celebrating my birthday. It was a great party featuring plenty of beer, friends and the debut of a new baby back rib recipe. I was having a fantastic time, enjoying my "guest of honor" status and taking advantage of the fact that my wife at 7 1/2 months pregnant was an automatic designated driver. That all changed when a couple hours into the party (and before the ribs were served) her water broke and our hosts drove us to the hospital. 14 hours later and 6 weeks early my first child was born.

The years since have left me filled with awe as I have watched her grow from a tiny thing nestled in my arms to the young woman of today fierce and ready for the world. The ups and downs have been many from the pride she had when an "Award of Merit" (one of the higest awards given) was placed on a project of hers at the fair, to the sorrow when her "arch enemy" was choosen before her at school. I have watched her best friend become a stranger to her and strangers morph into best friends. I have wiped tears that I did not understand, and cheered accomplishments that I also did not understand.

Everyday brings new wonder as she becomes more incredible. Watching her change before my eyes brings both pride and fear, as she drifts away from me and into a world of her own. I find myself less able to offer advice, less aware of what is bothering her than I was just a few years ago. In addition the older she gets the less she wants her dad to help. I know that we all went through a phase in which we "knew" our parents were idiots that just do not understand us, but it is much harder to be on this side of that debate than I ever dreamed. Still, it is impossible not to be proud of her.

Now has come the time for me to share what I have learned with you dear reader. Below you will find a comprehensive list of everything I have learned about parenting and everything I know about raising a teenager. Please enjoy, I hope you find the tips useful and worthwhile. Perhaps you will be able to apply them to your own life. So without further ado, EVERYTHING I KNOW ABOUT RAISING A TEENAGED DAUGHTER:

1)






Happy Birthday Princess!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Fish! This is realwest, commenting anonymously again! LOL!
    I just wanted you to know that reading stories such as yours makes me realize how special it is to be a parent.................yes, even the parent of a teenage girl named "Princess".
    Thanks a lot for that and please tell Princess We all wish her a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell your daughter we know you love her because we couldn't keep from smiling the whole time we read this post.
    turn

    ReplyDelete