Translate

Monday, July 30, 2012

On Sport and The World Stage

Every 4 years the world turns its attention to 2 events that hold our attention throughout the Summer. The Presidential election and the Olympic Games. One is a battle of well known power houses who slug it out in various venues while lesser known competitors vie for a chance just to be seen on such a large stage, the other is the Olympics.

Unless you are currently living under a rock, in a cave, on Mars, (And if you are then kudos on using your new found Internet connection to read this blog, good choice indeed!) then you are aware that the London Olympic Games began on Friday. The opening ceremonies (as they usually do) featured things the host country is most proud of. In this case, Music, National Health Care and the Invention of the World Wide Web were all featured. Now I could probably write a lengthy column right there about those 3 topics alone. (And lets face it, I really wanted the inventor of the World Wide Web to bitch slap Obama and say "yes as a matter of fact I DID build that") But I think I will leave most of that for my Wednesday news post.

I could also go write a bit about Romney's remarks about the preparations for the games. And how from his personal experience in Salt Lake he is one of the only people in the world actually qualified to make any remarks about how Olympics are run. But I will let that particular sleeping dog lie. I could mention the fact that Michelle Obama is at the Games while Barack was off fundraising. But I think that speaks for itself.

What I do want to discuss is the way the games make me feel each and every time.

Like so many kids around the world I used to watch the Games and Dream of one day standing on the podium hearing my Nation's Anthem played while its flag was lifted just for me. I practiced and even at one point thought I might have a real shot at it until a high school injury ended that hope. But to this day my heart swells when I see those rings and hear the drums that we all know so well. I watch those athletes march into the stadium with such joy and hope on their faces that it makes me feel proud of these kids whose names I do not even know. I watch the torch being lit and I dread the coming day when it will be extinguished. In short I love the games and everything they stand for.

Which brings me to the topic I actually wanted to write about. Michael Phelps. He is in is 3 consecutive games and trying to break the all time medal count (In the sport in which I once had hopes). In his first race he faltered and came in 4th. The media, rather than talking to those who won and letting us cheer them, immediately went to a tired Phelps still dripping from the race and asked him what it felt like to lose. This in my not so humble opinion was the crassest, most baseless and downright RUDE thing I have ever seen in all of Sports reporting. The man just lost an Olympic Race! How do you think it felt? It Sucked! no one goes to the games thinking "Man if only I can just barely lose, them I will be proud!" they go there to win. Most people don't. Most people feel lousy about it. Most people do not have a mic in their face immediately after losing asking them if it sucked.

The talking heads on American TV feel that it is vital to tell the "Story behind the games". Trying to get that angle is what lead to the embarrassing moment of the defeated Phelps with a camera and mic in front of him. The games are exciting enough of their own. Please stop trying to make us "feel' the way you think we should feel about them. Millions of people watch the NFL, NBA, MLB and other televised events without the need to be told how to "feel" about them. Baseball fans already know how they feel when their team enters a slump. the global audience is more than capable of watching the Olympics and deciding who to root for all on their own.

Please, just let them play.

No comments:

Post a Comment