Translate

Friday, September 28, 2012

On Blasphemy and Free Speech (Updated with Pictures)

Listening to President Obama's remarks at the UN earlier this week left me physically sick to my stomach. Never before has a President of the United States come down so forcefully against freedom of expression and the separation of church and state that we as Americans hold so dear.

When Obama stood on the world stage and equated those that SAY things that are offensive with those that kill in the name of being offended was beyond belief. When he further stated that Muslims had suffered more than any others I nearly vomited. First violence against Muslims is almost entirely carried out by other Muslims, second I know about 3000 people in New York, Arlington and Shanksville PA that would strongly disagree with that statement. (not to mention Ambassador Stevens, The Crew of the USS Cole, The staff of the US Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania and so on.)

The more I thought about his speech the angrier I became. Why is my President defending those that attack us and attack those that exercise their constitutional rights? Why is the President of the United States even mentioning 'Blasphemy"? I decided that I could not let this stand. Something must be done. A point must be made. But what can I do to let Obama know that I still have the right to say whatever I want? It would have to be big. Something that might be noticed. I thought for a while, and came up with what I think is the ultimate expression of free speech. I burnt a book.




What book? Ahh that is the key. I am not telling. I placed a book in a brown paper bag sealed it so that no one but I could know the title and tossed it into my fire pit at home.

Why did I chose this? Simple. Now everyone can be offended. I encourage each and every one of you to think of the burnt book as whichever book would offend you most. Was it a sacred text? A political work? The Constitution? Dreams From my Father? The Koran? The Torah? Harry Potter? I will never tell. I purchased the book with my own money and burnt it on private property. I did this because in America we still have our freedoms and rights. I do not go through my day with the intent of offending anyone ever. But When the President of the United States tells me I am NOT ALLOWED to be offensive, then in the words of Malcom Reynolds : "I intend to misbehave"

Mr. President, No where in the Constitution that you swore to protect and defend does it say : "Freedom of speech shall be limited if it hurts the feelings of any particular group." Nor does it say that "Congress shall not establish a religion but the President can do whatever he wants". You went over the line Mr. President. I hope the rest of America shows you exactly how far over the line you went this November.

2 comments:

  1. "I purchased the book with my own money ...."

    How do we know it wasn't the telephone book? (Which is only marginally 'purchased'.)

    OMG, you have torched Mother Bell's inviolate Scripture in your heathen lust to adolescently expose the ...

    ... whattya mean, 'adolescently isn't a word? Don't change the subject, you intellectional prevert!

    ////

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fish, this is realwest posting anonymously again!

    This is one of your best columns ever. Seriously, you manage to juxtapose the fraud who poses as the leader,*cough*, of the Free World while actually doing pretty much whatever he can to make the World less free, with the absurdity of people going beserk over someone's burning a book.
    I'd just add that more Korans (I know that's not the book you burned) have been destroyed, burned, and blown up by Muslims than have EVER been blown up by non-Muslims in the history of mankind.
    That's for an informative and entertaining column today!

    ReplyDelete