Translate

Monday, September 24, 2012

On Wisconsin And the Changing Seasons

This is the time of year that I both enjoy and dread the most. I love the crispness of the cooler air, the color of the sun through the changing leaves and the start of fall sports. I dread that these things signify the oncoming winter.



Winter was a season that I used to enjoy. Growing up in Ohio, winter was a tame beast that behaved itself and only occasionally announced its presence. Now that I live in Wisconsin, winter is a completely different animal. Here winter has no manners, no leash and is not even remotely housebroken. High temperatures during a Wisconsin Winter are often colder than the lows in other states. The phrase "Blizzard Warning" is used often and with seriousness. In short Wisconsin Winters suck.
But we are not there yet, and Wisconsin Autumns are incredible. This past weekend saw Homecoming parades, Fall Festivals and Campfires galore. it seemed as though everyone was outdoors, celebrating the change in the weather and getting some last rays of sunlight before we go into hibernation until spring.

Popular culture tells us New England is the place to visit for Fall, but I defy anyone to find a more lovely landscape of changing leaves than what I see everyday between my house and my office. When you combine those views with a people who are straining to enjoy every last moment of good weather, you get a combination that is unmatched.

Yes our Winter is awful, but our Autumn is fantastic.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment