Translate

Monday, June 25, 2012

Giving Back

My family and I spent this Sunday doing something I wish we did more often: working a community dinner. The community dinner is the Wisconsin version of a soup kitchen. The idea behind the dinner is for everyone regardless of means or need to come together once a month for a hot meal. The reality is the meal is attended almost exclusively by those in need. The meal is provided by area churches and this month was my church's turn.

My wife is in charge of organizing the meal and getting the volunteers and food together. This is a task that takes the better part of 2 weeks. After hours of telephone and email work she managed to secure donations of more than enough food for the small army that was expected. In true Lutheran fashion the meal was a buffet of casseroles (or Hot Dishes as they are called up here), "Salads" made out of anything except lettuce, and Bars. (Bars can be any dessert food that is cut into a square before eating.) As usual, the food was incredible.

My daughters were in charge of setting the tables and serving the drinks. They tried their best to avoid setting the tables but took to serving the drinks like they were born for it. They put together an entire 'drinks Station" set out glasses of Milk, chocolate Milk, Lemonade and Ice water and served them up with a smile. For those that had their hands full, they carried the cups for them carefully to the tables. The look on my daughter's faces was sheer joy.

My job was to provide rides to those that had trouble getting to the location. I picked up a family of 5 and a separate family of 2. Very nice people and very appreciative of the ride. While I was not busy driving I was to "Mingle and socialize". Somehow this quickly turned into "Clearing tables" but it was still fun.

The best part of the day was seeing the looks on everyone present, both those eating and those serving.The happiness in the room was remarkable. I hope each and everyone of you gets the chance to experience something similar.

(Oh and in case you are reading this Mr President, This is what "giving Back" means, not paying higher taxes. Just sayin'.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Fish! This is realwest commenting "anonymously" again.
    I just had to tell you that your June Posts - ALL of them - have been truly great. Great humor, topic selection (though I suspect one has something to do with the other) and insights.

    I do wish you continued success in writing informative, humorous and posts that cover a wide range of topics. Please.

    Your threads make me proud to consider you a "friend I've never met"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks RW! I really Appreciate the kind words. Feel free to tell everyone you know to read the blog. The Ad revenue is becoming a nice little supplement. And if enough people read the blog and click the ads I may be able to go full time with the blog

    ReplyDelete