Translate

Friday, June 22, 2012

Summertime Blues

The official start of Summer occurred this week, and with it the dilemma of working parents everywhere: jealousy of their children. Every Summer school kids across the nation are free to play, watch TV, Swim and Ride Bikes all day long while we working stiffs continue to the office everyday.

This past week my oldest has called me 3-5 times each day with questions like: "Can you ride bikes with us as soon as you get home?" "How do you turn on the slip n slide?" and "How much smoke is too much for the oven to have pouring out of it?" Questions that make me wish I were home with them.

Technology has helped some as my Daughter keeps me updated on her goings on through text messages and Facebook, but it is not the same.

So I have come up with a "Summer Survival Plan"

1) I go into work 1-2 hours earlier than scheduled, this allows me to complete my tasks and get home with plenty of daylight left to enjoy with my kids

2) I have instituted an no "nos" policy. I say no to the kids if the thing they have asked for cannot be done due to funds, safety or previous commitments. If there is a way to do what they asked we do it. If the exact thing they asked for cannot be done we modify the request into something that is doable.

3) No matter how tired I am, I try to play everyday for at least a bit. Last night I swam with them for 2 hours after work, 2 hours that I would have rather been napping.

4) Take as much time away from work as possible, even if vacation is just staying home, the time with the kids is fleeting, I intend to enjoy every minute I can.

So That is it. My "Grand Scheme" for Summer Survival. I am still jealous of the leisure time my kids have, but I have fun too.  Far from relaxing but Highly enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment